Muzizi Hydro Power project is located along Muzizi River in the District of Kibaale. The project foot prints however extends to Kabarole, Kyenjojo and Ntooroko districts in the western part of Uganda 6km south-east of Lake Albert and will be implemented as a Public Project. The diversion hydroelectric project has a gross head of 460 m and a discharge of approx.12 m³/s; it consists of the following main facilities:
• Access roads, operator’s housing, infrastructure
• Concrete weir structure and reservoir;
• 3 to 4 km long concrete headrace channel (alternatives presently under consideration include a buried pipe and a tunnel/shaft)
• Surge bay / surge chamber
• Approx. 1km steel penstock, diameter approx. 2 m.
• Powerhouse containing 2 to 3 Pelton turbine/generator sets and tailrace channel
• High voltage switchyard and 6 km transmission line
• Balance of Plant
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Limited
70 million Euros
KFW Development Bank, Germany 4million Euro grant plus 40million loan
Agence française de développement (AFD), FranceAFD45 Million Euro loan
Government of Uganda approximately 21 Million loan
• Procurement of the RAP Implementation Consultant was completed in April 2016.
• Rap Implementation Consultancy Contract between UEGCL and New Plan was executed in April 2016
• The additional geotechnical investigations for the new project layout and ESIA studies are under way.
• EPC contractor will start construction works early 2018.
• Ground breaking for the 44.7 project is expected early 2018, and construction will commence.