WHO WE ARE
UEGCL is a body corporate, incorporated under the Companies’ Act (Cap 110), the Laws of Uganda and in conformity with the Electricity Act, 1999. The company was incorporated in March 2001 to operate and maintain the formerly UEB’s Generation Stations at Nalubaale and Kiira Power Stations, and to complete the construction of Kiira Power Station.
UEGCL’s mandate changed from operations and maintenance of the Electricity Generation Complex in Jinja (NPS and KPS) to concession monitoring when the complex was concessioned out to a concessionaire (ESKOM (U) Ltd) for 20 years effective April 2003. The change in mandate requires UEGCL to ensure that the complex is operated and maintained in accordance with the acceptable utility standards, and preservation of the facilities. With the completion of Kiira Power Station, UEGCL moved on to development of other large and small hydropower stations in various parts of the country.
To be the leading power producer in the Great Lakes Region
To sustainably generate reliable, quality and affordable electricity for socio-economic development.
• To generate power that will be able to meet the ever growing needs of the domestic market and a surplus that will be exported to neighboring countries.
• To monitor the operation and maintenance of existing plants.
• To oversee the efficient production of electricity power in the country.
• To monitor the effects of electricity generation on the environment and develop appropriate policies in line with International Standards.
• To engage in research and consultancy so as to contribute to the development of the energy sector.
• To develop the organization to enable it fulfill and deliver on its mandate and project a positive image
UEGCL KEY STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES
• Increase hydropower installed capacity by 50% from 380 MW to 1,163 MW by 2018;
• Grow revenues by an average of 45% per year;
• Improve the financial health from loss of 11 billion to a profit of 2 billion in three years;
• Optimization of costs and operations to generate more electricity during peak load hours;
• Improve investment and operational efficiency with the aim of being the low cost generator in the region to support government initiatives of keeping tariff affordable and competitive;
• Stepped up condition monitoring of ageing assets at Nalubaale power station for improved performance with respect to plant availability and reliability;
• UEGCL accreditation to ISO Standards for QMS, Asset Management, Safety & Environment;
• Establishing a Training Centre and Professional Services Unit for sustainable energy systems
• Build local capacity for operation and maintenance of Karuma and Isimba Hydropower plants and support government initiatives of providing employment to the youth.
UEGCL CORE VALUES
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Limited
BLOCK C, VICTORIA OFFICE PARK
PLOT 6-9 OKOT CLOSE BUKOTO,
P.O. BOX 75831, KAMPALA, UGANDA
TEL. +256 312 372165
Fax: +256 414251057
Plot 2-8 Faraday Road, Amberly Estate
P. O. Box 1101, Jinja
Tel: +256 43 120 891