Nalubaale Power Station, formerly known as Owen Falls Dam, is a hydroelectric power station across the White Nile near to its source at Lake Victoria in Jinja district. Its Location coordinates are: Latitude= 0.443525, Longitude= 33.1847 respectively. It is the oldest hydropower station in Uganda commissioned in 1954. It was renamed Nalubaale by H.E Excellency Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, the president of Uganda in 2001. Originally Owen falls dam was designed for ten turbines rated at 15 megawatts (20,000 hp) each (a total of 150 megawatts (200,000 hp). In the the 1990s, the station was refurbished to repair the accumulated wear from a decade of civil disorder. During the repairs, the output power of the generators was increased, bringing the Nalubaale Power Complex's generating capacity to 180 megawatts (240,000 hp).
As part of the privatization process of the Uganda Power Sector, the Uganda Government, through the Uganda Electricity Generation Company (UEGCL), a 100% parastatal, signed a 20-year operational, management and maintenance concession to Eskom Uganda Limited, a subsidiary of Eskom Holdings of South Africa. The concession agreement commenced in 2002. The electricity generated here, is sold to the Uganda Electricity Transmission Company Limited (UETCL), the authorized single buyer. UETCL in turn sells the power to Uganda Electricity Distribution company Limited UEDCL, who also concessioned out toUmeme. The Nalubaale-Kiira complex supplies about 67% of the country's electrical energy and remain the assets of the Uganda Government in terms of the Concession Agreement.